Home > Campus
Texas A&M University at Qatar Mission Statement
Texas A&M University at Qatar will:
- Develop exemplary engineers and leaders through internationally respected undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- Generate new knowledge by conducting research and disseminating results.
- Serve the needs of the State of Qatar and the region through broad expertise.
Excellence at Texas A&M at Qatar is founded on providing an intellectual environment that encourages the development and expansion of the human mind and spirit; advances critical thinking and problem solving; significantly embraces global awareness; encourages life-long learning; develops in students the wisdom, skills, and ethical nature needed to assume responsibility and leadership in both the local and the global community; and is committed to ensuring the success of each of its students.
The development and dissemination of new knowledge, with a strategic orientation toward fields of local importance and unique to Texas A&M at Qatar competencies, will achieve prominence in the State of Qatar, the MENA region, and the rest of the international academic and research community.
Texas A&M at Qatar will be sought out as a valued source of engineering and science knowledge and expertise. It will be seen as a source of students and employees that value contributing to the well being of the society, and is a partner that enriches and is enriched by community service and engagement activities.
Texas A&M at Qatar provides a safe and welcoming student environment that encourages students to achieve academic excellence within their chosen field while cultivating a desire to grow as a person and a professional through opportunities offered in research and project collaboration, as well as through unique experiences that will ultimately enhance the leadership skills and engineering competencies of Texas A&M at Qatar graduates.
There is a mutual respect and trust in the university community for contributions by all members. Texas A&M at Qatar’s diversity is a clear strength; employees understand how what they do benefits the organization and its mission; and employees have tangible evidence that their efforts are valued and appreciated. Building such trust and respect allows all other activities to proceed more smoothly. It capitalizes on collective intelligence and strengthens morale.
Shared governance is a commitment on the part of faculty, staff, academic professionals, students and the administration to work together to strengthen and enhance the university. Its core values include: informed and inclusive decision-making; transparency and clarity of operations and decision-making; and open lines of communication.
Faculty excellence at Texas A&M at Qatar is founded on the three principles of teaching, research, and service.
As excellent teachers, Texas A&M at Qatar faculty members consistently obtain high marks in student and peer evaluations of their teaching while holding students accountable to high standards in meeting learning outcomes. The faculty’s teaching excellence will be recognized by measures including, but not limited to, internal/external teaching awards, grant support for teaching/learning projects, or widely adopted teaching materials/pedagogies.
Research excellence will be recognized by Texas A&M at Qatar faculty member's consistent publication record in leading refereed journals and/or the publication of scholarly books, along with frequent citations of publications. The excellent faculty researcher will be recognized nationally/internationally through invited contributions including, but not limited to, being an editor or member of an editorial board of a major journal, a member of review panel for a national review organization, or senior positions in organizing major professional conferences. Having an excellent research reputation will also include receiving significant external peer-reviewed research funding, major fellowship or research award, or presenting invited papers at national and international professional meetings. The excellent faculty member will conduct research that is important the State of Qatar, the MENA region, and his/her discipline.
The excellent faculty member at Texas A&M at Qatar also contributes service to his/her profession at the highest levels. Exemplary service activities include, but are not limited to, serving as an officer in a national or international professional organization or serving on key government boards, committees, or task forces. Service at the highest level would also include being chosen to chair a national or international professional meeting. Importantly, this component of faculty excellence also includes local examples, e.g. community service, public service, clinical/extension service.
Means of measuring excellence at Texas A&M at Qatar
Measures of Student Excellence
- Student success: entrance qualifications; freshman to sophomore persistence; graduation rate; placements in employment or advanced study following graduation; employer assessment of alumni performance.
- Student intellectual development: number and quality of high impact opportunities, e.g. study abroad, international service learning; number and percent of undergraduate students involved in research projects; number and percent of students accessing minors and certificate programs (within TAMUQ and external); number of honors courses offered and students enrolled; assessment of higher level thinking skills; student leadership development.
Measures of Faculty Excellence
- Faculty quality: number and percent with field appropriate terminal degree; ranking of institution awarding terminal degree; external evaluations of faculty at hiring and at promotion.
- Faculty teaching excellence: self analysis of strengths/weaknesses of course materials and delivery; analysis of student achievement of course objectives; peer critique of course materials; peer critique of classroom teaching; end-of-semester student ratings of instruction; evidence of student growth over the semester; student performance in current and/or subsequent courses.
- Faculty research excellence: number and value of external peer reviewed research funding; number and quality of invited presentations; number and quality of peer reviewed journal and conference publications; number and quality of books/book chapters published; impact factor of research; number and quality of research awards/fellowships.
- Faculty service excellence: number of leadership roles in national/international professional organization; number of opportunities to serve on major governmental commissions, task forces, or boards; number of leadership roles in national/international meetings; number and quality of opportunities to serve local/regional community.